10 things you’re doing/will do for the environment
Feeling inspired, I’d like to start a meme on what actions you’re taking, or planning to take (a pledge!) to help the environment. This is a broad-reaching scope, and encompasses anything and everything: choosing organic food, taking transit, composting, donating to an environmental organization, recycling unwanted goods, installing solar panels, or even just educating yourself on issues and solutions. Is there a particular action that tops your list? Or one you’ve been eager to try?
For brevity’s sake we’ll keep the list to 10 items. You can divide it up between “doing” and “intend to do” in whatever ratio you like.
So here’s my list, in no particular order:
Right now, I:
1. Eat local
2. Use cloth bags and compostable plastic bags
3. Advocate for revival of the Interurban community rail
4. Reduce, reuse, recycle!
5. Use strictly natural cosmetics and soaps, with recyclable packaging and no chemicals
6. Use strictly natural cleaners (baking soda, vinegar, water, the occasional lemon)
7. Use a reusable stainless steel water bottle
8. Reduce waste by switching to Lunapads products (they’re local!) — immediately
9. Live in a walkable neighbourhood with frequent, accessible transit — 2 to 3 years’ time
10. Buy a cradle-to-cradle, toxic-free sofa made from natural materials — 2 to 3 years’ time
The overarching theme? GHG reduction, waste reduction, sustainable communities, environmental health (reduced toxicity) and therefore improved health of humans and other animals.
I haven’t done a meme before so I’m not sure how to tag people, but I’d love to hear from Raul (great post that may help you get started on thinking up some “will dos”), Paul, Darren, Stephen and Mom. (Whoa, apparently I need to get to know a few more blogging women! Late Bloomer, where are you???)
Please, if you can, leave a link to your post here for everybody. I’ll try to update this later if I see your posts in my RSS reader.
Looking forward to your responses!
UPDATE: Late Bloomer has a great post about what she and her family are doing. Inspirational, and worth a read! Do have a look. Nice photo, too!
PREVIOUS A visitor